100 self-discovery journal prompts for re-discovering yourself
100 journal prompts for self-discovery and personal development
Journal prompts are something that I always felt close to when I started my writing journey. I cannot believe how much journaling has helped me grow in these past years. If you’ve been reading my posts and following me on ‘gram, you would already know how much I owe to this beautiful art of journaling.
There always is a time when you feel stuck in this process of journaling especially when you’re a beginner. However, these journaling prompts will always help you get started and do some deep inner work.
I started this beautiful practice of writing morning pages as a form of journaling from December 2019 and it has totally changed my life.
If you wish to heal yourself, re-discover your soul’s calling, find your best self, and live fully; you totally need to start journaling. I wouldn’t be speaking so much ( like literally so much) about the incredible benefits of journaling if I myself didn’t experience that.
If you’re new to journaling, take my free three days journaling course and become a journaling ninja!! I really want to make this post more about journaling prompts so I won’t begin with my story or the process of journaling.
Here’s the detailed piece on how I started my journaling journey and how it helped me heal.
Why do you need journaling prompts as a beginner?
Journaling can be a daunting experience especially when you’re just starting out thus it is helpful to have a guide alongside. Sometimes, we may not wish to spill the truth on paper because it hurts or we are still not ready to confront it, in such times, these journaling prompts help a lot.
Even while writing daily, we as writers get confused on how to get started, these journal prompts show the path always. Let these inspiring journal prompts be your guide as you practice journaling and help you dive deep inside.
I have brainstormed some beautiful journal prompts that will help you in self-discovery and personal development. Always remember, there’s no right way of getting started with this beautiful art of journaling. Just show up daily and spill your truth on blank pages.
Stay a little longer for I’m going to link my favorite journals below!!
100 journal prompts for self-discovery and personal development
Here are some of the prompts that I use during my journaling session and I will also leave some explanation for the prompts that seem a bit tricky. Let’s get started:
- Who were you before the world told you what you should be? ( this is a deep writing prompt where you need to open your heart and go back to your desires and dreams and who you actually were before this society guided you into their own set of rules)
- What are your wildest dreams if everything was possible? ( do not limit yourself here)
- What pours in the energy and what takes it out?
- Who do you want to become if there were no boundaries or limitations?
- Describe your dream job or business. ( you don’t have to restrict your thoughts just because you’re not there yet)
- What makes your heart jump with joy? Make a list of such things.
- Write a love-note/ letter to yourself describing how much you adore your being. ( a self-love note)
- What are your strengths and why are they your strengths?
- What are you practicing to let go this week?
- 10. How are you creating space for more joy, peace, and love?
- What is your biggest weakness? Why do you think that as your weakness?
- What do you turn upon during bad mental health days?
- Write a letter to your younger self.
- What do you wish to make your future self feel proud of?
- What are your goals for this year and how do you plan to accomplish them?
- What made you happy as a child? How can you do more of those things?
- What is your belief system around growing? Can you grow into the person you always want to be? How?
- How can you get out of your comfort zone and help yourself grow?
- Do you feel lonely when you’re alone? Why and why not?
- How can you practice self-forgiveness? ( Forgive yourself and open the doors to self-discovery)
- If you were your own child, how would you re-parent yourself? ( This is about healing inner-child. Read this post for more in-depth guidance)
- What a happy day in your life looks like?
- If you were to change one thing from the past, what it would be?
- How can you be more mindful instead of always hustling?
- Write 10 things you’re grateful for?
- Write a thankyou note for yourself.
- What are some of the qualities that you love in yourself, something that you adore being you?
- How can you create a self-care routine that helps you grow?
- What if this is your last day on earth, how will you spend it?
- What you wish to be remembered for?
- How will you accept yourself the way you are?
- Do you have the fear of judgment? Or do you bother what others think of you? Why?
- What is the definition of perfection for you? Do you aim to be perfect?
- Do you procrastinate your work? Why?
- What your dream life looks like? Be true to yourself here.
- Define your highest self – version 2.0.
- What are your favorite quotes? List them.
- Who is your role model? Why? What do you admire in them so much?
- Are you scared of being unproductive? Why?
- Do you believe that being busy is the best way to live? Why?
- What are your friends like? What do you admire in them?
- How would you define inner-beauty? Do you preach body-positivity?
- 10 quick facts about you.
- What would I change in yourself? Why?
- How can you help yourself create the reality that you always envisioned?
- What do you consider as your biggest achievement? Why?
- If you had a super-power, what it would be?
- What is the most amazing thing about you?
- Write a letter to yourself being a parent.
- What are your goals and how you will achieve them?
- What is something that you knew you can’t do but did anyway?
- What are your wildest fears? How do you help yourself fighting them?
- If you can own only three things, what it would be?
- Who are your favorite humans in the world? Why?
- How do you like to spend your free time?
- Do you like spending time alone or you easily get bored? Why?
- How did your past shaped into the human you’re today?
- Write a letter to your future self.
- Which challenges helped you grow?
- What are your hobbies that you don’t aim to monetize?
- How is your relationship with money?
- Do you believe in the law of attraction and the way the universe works?
- When was the last time did you experience joy and peace?
- How is your relationship with your parents?
- If you could describe yourself in three words, what will they be?
- How often do you get angry? Why?
- What makes you angry and how can you help yourself here?
- What are your core values?
- How can you get out of your comfort zone this year by doing something unexpected?
- What makes you unique, the way you are?
- What are some of your secrets that you never shared with anyone?
- Is it difficult for you to get along with others? Why?
- Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert? Why?
- What are you proud of yourself today?
- What makes you brave and courageous?
- Write a thank-you note for yourself.
- Describe your favorite place in the world.
- Do you like pets? Write about it today.
- What will happen if you let go of your insecurities?
- What is your favorite memory?
- How can you validate your self-worth?
- How can you let go of your insecurities?
- Who is your favorite movie character? Why?
- Write your wish-list or create a bucket-list.
- What are the five biggest priorities of your life?
- How you plan your next five years for success?
- What did you do for yourself today?
- Are you active on social media? How does it make you feel about yourself?
- Do you feel like validating your existence? Why?
- What makes you stressed? How can you help yourself here?
- What are some of the habits that you’re trying to inculcate in your daily routine?
- How are you feeling today and how do you wish to feel? Help yourself to bridge the gap.
- How can you create a more balanced life?
- What can you remove from your To-Do list today?
- How does nature make you feel? Write about your experience.
- What is art for you? Do you believe art is necessary?
- What are the little things in your life that you admire?
- What complicates your life? How can you make it simple?
- What a good mental health day looks like?
- If you were in Oprah’s show, what will you ask yourself?
Self-discovery journal prompts – final thoughts:
This self-discovery journal prompts may seem too much but if you take it one day at a time, I’m they will help you grow. Let this be your guide to make you feel close to yourself and know your true self.
These journal prompts have helped me in finding my authentic self and knowing so much about me, I hope that they guide you to the light too.
I would love to know how are you planning to use these journal prompts for your self-discovery. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below.